Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Donald Knuth - Cool Name - Cool Dude

I don't know if it's just my middle-child personality or if there's something wrong with me.

I just dislike blindly participating in trends.

I know I do so all the time but as they come to my attention I make choices about trends.

When I ran across this page from Don Knuth (wikipedia entry) I smiled. Here's a guy who has evaluated a trend in light of his personal purpose and made a clear decision. He knows his identity and has removed email because it distracts him from his purpose.

On Lake Superior



In these days when parents reserve email addresses and domain names for their children even before they are born I find Don Knuth's example refreshing.

I admire Don Knuth.

1 comment:

Chap said...

Hey Daniel - I liked this link to Knuth's email policy. I found the notion refreshing, but challenging and perhaps a little impractical. The question that it brings up for me is when does the communication standard of the community become the accepted mode of communication and all former modes become archaic? Telegraph for instance. Did it provide the same point of contention for some when it was invented? Only to be done away with by telephone? In any event, my hats of to Professor Knuth as well.